Monday, September 10, 2012


As Ellen (based on a lifetime of experience,work and study) knows better than most--it doesn't take much to spark a child's imagination and fuel their love of play and discovery.  In fact, less is almost always more  when more is left for the imagination. So I bring you a small sampling of selected "Less is More" words, images, music, craft and so forth...

Cut Outs Series - Henri Matisse, Bagneuse dans les Roseaux, 1952,
A Very Short Song
Once, when I was young and true,
Someone left me sad-
Broke my brittle heart in two;
And that is very bad.

Love is for unlucky folk,
Love is but a curse.
Once there was a heart I broke;
And that, I think, is worse.
--Dorothy Parker



Groucho Marx
“A child of five could understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.” 



TRUE STORY
Colleague brought her 5 year old son to work.  Came into my office. And at some point in the conversation ...
Boy:  You have hair in your nose.
Me:  Yes I do.
Boy:  You have a lot of hair in your nose.
Me:  Yeah, I guess I do.
Boy:  Can I pull some out?

Used Sailboat sail...Fellow Drifters....whadda ya think?


Kalimba De Luna
Esposito/ AmorusoLicastro/Malavasi/DiFranco)

In the land of the sunshine
People know how to groove
Making emotion
Believin' in what they do
Kalimba De Luna
Take me tonight
Show me the way
To get right on time....








Saul Steinberg
 - "The life of the creative man is lead, directed and controlled by boredom. Avoiding boredom is one of our most important purposes."



“It's the way you play that makes it . . . Play like you play. Play like you think, and then you got it, if you're going to get it. And whatever you get, that's you, so that's your story."  --Count Basie

" 'Count don't do nothin'. But it sure sounds good."
-- One of Basie's band members on Basie's use of silence, spareness and playing the minimum amount of notes in his piano solos for the maximum emotional and rhythmic effect



Basie with Cleveland Eaton on Bass, Booty Wood--Trombone. Carnegie Hall  1981




No comments:

Post a Comment