Tuesday, September 24, 2013



I feel a lot more like I do now than I did when I came in.  Someone posted that phrase on the Bulletin Board at my College (forty two years ago) and I've been wondering about it ever since. And then I came across an article on Language Log (a fine place to visit for the Linguistically Curious) in a guest post by Keith Chen (Associate Professor EconomicsUCLA Anderson School of Management)

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3792

Gist of it is:  In cultures where the language doesn't make  distinctions between the present and the future---I climb Mountain tomorrow vs.  I will climb the mountain tomorrow--there is a greater incidence of planning and saving for the future as well as the cultivation of better habits in diet and physical fitness.  In other words, when the language treats the future as virtually no different than the present, the culture prepares for the future with greater care and attention.  Interesting premise and interesting reading and if you follow the many discussions, some dissenting voices call the hypothesis into question.


Joe McCarthy and Ted Cruz...
Apparently, I'm not the first to notice the resemblance.
But all joking aside, this guy sounds like McCarthy too.
If you're not familiar with his wit and wisdom check him out 
patronizing and lecturing  Dianne Feinstein during hearings 
on Gun Control legislation.



Friend Alex commented on previous post about Ronan the rhythmic Sea Lion with this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJOZp2ZftCw
  
It's a video of Snowball (The Sulfur Crested Cockatoo and YouTube sensation) doing what appears to be an audition for Dancing with the Stars.

 Duly impressed, I clicked on this equally extraordinary performance by the fine feathered phenom....



  I know nothing about how Snowball and Ronan do what they do but I suspect that there's a form of emotional intelligence at work that cannot be attributed only to a talent for mimicry.  Why do I suspect that?  I'm not sure, but from watching this video and others, you can see that Snowball is listening to the music and frequently pauses to pick up the beat before moving in time to it--and even self corrects when he's out of step.  And, in my experience as a primate of the sub-species Homo Sapiens, the ability to respond to sound with rhythmic synchronicity strikes me as a sympathetic response and not just an instinctive one.  But again, that's just my intuitive sense of it, though I do know that if I saw a chicken boogying down to Papa's Got a Brand New Bag and hitting the accent on the downbeat,  I'd be more likely to desire sparing it the fate of landing on my dinner plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment