Sunday, April 29, 2012





Al Smith ran to the waltzing beat of The Sidewalks of New York.  Roosevelt had the snappy Happy Days Are Here Again. For Truman it was I'm Just Wild About Harry, and Kennedy beamed that Beacon Hill smile to High Hopes. 

Wikipedia has a fairly comprehensive list for many of the others going back to Andrew Jackson all the way through:  Mike Huckabee: More Than A Feeling by Boston (Tom Scholz of Boston asked Huckabee to stop using the song) 

The strangest choice in the bunch  is probably the one for Ross Perot. He chose Patsy Cline's Crazy in 1992

But what is Romney’s song?  All I can find online is that he's been torturing the ears of his followers at every rally and speech with the bland and faux Springsteenesque Kid Rock  Anthem Born Free.  

So, encouraged by the belief that the Romney campaign is still looking to Name that Tune for their man, I submit the following Gilbert and Sullivan inspired ditty for their consideration. 


"I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in.  That's the America I love.  

-Mitt Romney (January 2012)

( I am the very model of ) 
A Presidential Candidate 

I am the very model of a presidential candidate
can light up any room where loaded people pay ten Grand a plate
I know the Wall Street barons who like me are steeped in privilege
And guys who blithely sail on yachts made possible by funds that hedge
I come from rugged pioneers who founded their own settlement
Where folks worked hard and feared their god and beverages that might ferment
Where marriages gave men the choice, and women didn’t have a voice
I am the very man for whom America should now rejoice

The cynics say I change my views and pander, lie and obfuscate
But in The Prince Niccolò said "to rule you must equivocate"
The game that we call politics is one in which you must rely
upon the how and not the who or what or where or when or why.
I get up in the morning and I shave and dress conservative
To look the part of one who hopes to act as a preservative
of all that we among the flock, with class --and I mean Class A stock
require to stay rich while keeping congress in non-stop gridlock.

I know I said "I saw my father march with Martin Luther King"
And said a bunch of other stuff which didn't have the truth of ring
But sometimes I get all mixed up and words start coming out all strange
but vote for me and I'll make sure that that's something I will that change
To run the nation properly you must have grit and diligence
the kind that comes from ancestry with U.S. roots and permanence
Obama is a transient whose mom lived off the continent
His Dad I hear just disappeared and drank till all incompetent
  
I'm very good at shaking hands and kissing babies on the cheeks
I’ve learned the names of foreign lands and nearly all the Saudi Sheiks
I’m married to a loyal lass who stays at home to copulate--
With me --and ain't it big of me (bigamy?) as one hot hunky candidate. 
I speak my mind regardless of the facts or truths empirical
Pay no heed to my critics or when SNL’s satirical 
I always follow Mormon law, I stand before my faith in awe
Ask anyone who knows me, and they’ll tell you that I have no flaw.


My daddy said to me “Son if you dream of white house occupance...
You must pay heed to folks who live in houses stocked in opulence
Ideas and law and policy may be what makes democracy
But money talks and money wins--God Bless our great plutocracy.”
I’ve paid my dues in wingtip shoes in conference rooms in every state
I’ve wheeled and dealed and made a mint cause baby “I communicate”
I never lack for confidence, can straddle just 'bout any fence
My mojo is the Quid Pro Quo --and you thought it was temperance?

In Massachusetts I was known for innovative policies
My record shows successive blows to wasteful old bureaucracies
My Universal Healthcare law, the one I thought would never pass
Has now returned to haunt me as it bites me in my great big ass
My moment has arrived and now I’m ready for the final test
The GOP will soon choose me and then with Morman zeal n' zest
Just fill er up, dog’s in the crate, he’s on the roof— no need to wait
Here comes the very model of a presidential candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment