Wednesday, November 14, 2012



"With just these two fingers, I can type  
345 words per minute." 
Somewhat...

...shocking detail about involvement of top U.S. commander in Afghanistan Gen. John Allen in the Petraeus case. One report I read cited the discovery of 20 to 30,000 pages of e-mails  between 2010 and 2012 with the "other woman".  I don't know what his job as top commander requires or entails, but I assume it includes the luxury of delegating a fair amount of it to others--cause you'd have to be more prolific than Stephen King, Balzac and Joyce Carol Oates combined to generate even half that volume in so short a time.  As a blogger who tries to kick out a few hundred words a day while working a job that is completely stress-free and cushy compared to Gen. Allen's, I stand in awe.  Though I suspect that the reported amount of pages will be amended or found to be off by about 15,000.  It just isn't possible.



Somehow...
...gotta find a way to get over the hump with cryptic and acrostic crossword puzzles. Something about those strung together  "you call that a clue?"  clues just isn't clicking.  Sis Debby seems to get it quickly and proceeds along swimmingly while I just splash and thrash and get nowhere.  Colleague at work gave up on them years ago when he realized " I couldn't afford the all the consciousness altering drugs I would need to continue." 



Someday...
...someone, or someones are gonna rise up and say " I'm (we're) mad as hell and we're not gonna take it anymore"  to those Masters of the Universe at Apple.  Maybe one bad Apple don't spoil the whole bunch, but I just bought Ellen a new iPod touch to replace her dead 5 year old standard version and NOTHING IS COMPATIBLE.  Can't load my iTunes library, can't load iPhoto pix, and can't get anyone at Apple to offer me a solution that doesn't require purchase of more Apple shit to get this thing to do the thing I bought it to do.  They changed everything...even the recharger. Their motto is "Think Different."  And I'm beginning to think maybe I will. 


Bernstein's Original manuscript score . 
Somewhere...
... I recently found a chord melody transcription of this  song that I had mislaid years ago and I've been fooling around with it for last few days.  The melody alone makes Ellen tear up every time she hears it and frankly, I'm not so immune myself.  Simple changes actually, and it sounds nice just using standard major and minor chords and a few added sevenths and sixths along the way. But a more creative and imaginative (not to mention skilled and knowledgeable) player like Adam Rafferty takes it to a whole new level.  Rafferty here is using open strings to create ringing sustained tones and he employs harmonics in a way that never feel gimmicky or out of place.  What he's doing isn't technically all that difficult, but the vision behind the arrangement, the altered chords and the and beauty of approach is inspired. 

If you get a VIDEO NOT AVAILABLE message, try refreshing page.  Usually works.
If not, you can find this on YouTube.  Search: Adam Rafferty. Somewhere.  That should suffice. 




Q is for:

qualtagh
The first person you see after leaving your house
quidnunc
One who always wants to know what is going on
quomodocunquize
To make money by any means possible

R is for:

recumbentibus
A knockout blow, either verbal or physical
runcation
The act of weeding


1 comment: