Wednesday, May 2, 2012



Talk about High Concept?


Struggling screenwriter (isn't that redundant?) passes the time writing fake letters to famous people in the guise of an eager and curious child.  The letters are pitch-perfect and the replies are touching, funny and revealing...you can read more at:  


http://boingboing.net/2010/03/10/little-billys-letter.html


A few examples for the link averse:

To : Robert Shapiro--One  of O.J. Simpson's "dream team"  defense lawyers



...and to the office of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles




and if you want to know how Shapiro and the Church replied...

follow link above.




 Chopin didn’t bother, he just identified them by genre and number.

Most other composers did likewise.  "Let's see, this is my fifth symphony and I wrote it in C-minor,  so I think I'll call it  "Symphony #5 in C-minor".
Occasionally, some descriptive word would get attached to a piece of music. That's why we have a "Moonlight" sonata-- but that isn't the actual "name" of the piece.

Classical composers sometimes wrote program music, created to evoke something actual or metaphorical— such as “Pictures at an Exhibition”  and  “Night on Bald Mountain” 

But that's the classical world --for fun in the way of Titling titillation...Punk and Country is where you'll find the real motherlode... but that would be too easy, so I'm gonna dig in my memory bank as well as look around the Jazz scene and other related neighborhoods...

I always thought the Miles Davis tune So What was a perfect title.  It perfectly suits the man who wrote it as well as the direct and straightforward simplicity of the tune itself.



Phil Woods wrote a tune entitled Huk2E --The only tune I know of that references the act of spitting.  A few more I like: 
This I Dig of You - Hank Mobley.  
And what if I don't? - Herbie Hancock
I heard you twice the first time- Branford Marsalis
Your goatee gets on my nerves (not to mention the moustache) - Milosc (Polish jazz group)
There's nothing smart about being stupid - Sonny Fortune
 Theme from ' The Theme From' --Herbie Mann

Charles Mingus  never missed a chance to brew his titles dark  and strong. (color-coded because double spacing option is being uncooperative)

All the Things You Could Be By Now If Sigmund Freud's Wife Was Your Mother; The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife are Some Jive Ass Slippers; Don’t Be Afraid, the Clown’s Afraid Too.

Les McCann penned:

A little 3/4 for God & co. ;
Gone on and get that church;
Someone stole my Chitlins;
Vu Jade (the feeling of never having been there before);
Price you gotta pay to be free.
 Mother of Invention--Age 2




 A small sampling of Frank Zappa might include: 
What Kind of Girl do you Think We Are?
Sheik Yerbouti (Album Name)
Sexual Harassment in the Workplace 
In-a-Gadda-Stravinsky
Orrin Hatch on Skis
Winos Do No March

Variations on the Carlos Santana Secret Chord Progression (musicians must love that one)

We're Only in it for the Money
Why does it hurt when I Pee?
Don't eat the Yellow Snow



The always eclectic  George Clinton

Free your mind and your ass will follow;
There is nothing before me but thang;
If you don't like the effects, don't produce the cause.




 Mose Allison  wrote dozens of doozies:


Somebody Gonna Have to Move;
Your Mind is On Vacation (And Your Mouth is Working Overtime);
Your Molecular Structure;
The Getting Paid Waltz; 
Monsters of the Id;
You Can't Push People Around.





I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama With My Honolulu Mama Doin' Those Beat-o Beat-o Flat-on-my-Seat-o Hirohito Blues
 --- Hoagy Carmichael





and the Ozzie Nelson (yes, that Ozzie Nelson) classic - I'm Looking for a Guy Who Plays Alto and Baritone, Doubles on the Clarinet and Wears a Size 37 Suit



and to wrap it up...... here's Bonnie Raitt (in honor of my Sis Debby and Hubby Bill who're going to one of her upcoming concerts)  doin one of my favorite Mose Allison tunes...with Taj Mahal on Blues Harp...


Damn...they won't let me embed it!  Sorry bout that...but here's the link. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qABGqLfOiAw



No comments:

Post a Comment