Thursday, June 14, 2012


2busy2day

So here's a quickie with...

 another (true) Times Square Story, bit of early Eli, A (LeBron) Jamesian observation and a homophonic sidebar. 

Big group of kids (I'm guessing 10 yr. olds) walking up Broadway.  Proceeding briskly along in loose double file led by some vigilant adults in front and another couple of nervous nellies herding from the rear.  'Class' trips are standard sights in Times Square area, especially during warm weather months. For the few moments I find myself in step with them, I hear one of the kids say: " You know what I hate about Broadway?".  But no one hears him (except me--and I can't wait to hear the answer) as they keep marching up the avenue.  I change my course to follow them in anticipation of hearing the punch line, and the kid repeats his question, but again no one seems to be listening.  I've now followed the group half a block in anticipation of hearing this observant lad's conclusion--I look at the kid and hope he'll try again and he does." Hey, hey, you know what I hate about Broadway?"  And again, his mates are deaf to his query and only have eyes for the garish spectacle around them.  So now I've followed a full block out of my way, so I kinda sidle up to the kid and with all the kindliness and friendly curiosity I can muster I say..." Okay, you can tell me, what do you hate about Broadway?".  The kid looks at me and suddenly his eyes blink nervously and in an instant he bolts up the line toward the front of the pack.  I walk away thinking it's possible that I was the answer to his question.

My son Eli, at about age 2 or 3, when itching to get out of our West Side apartment and hit the streets would say:  " Let's go Broadway!".  

What bothers me most about LeBron James.  It's that way he has of bounding (he doesn't run or trot, he bounds)  downcourt dribbling, and dribbling, and stepping back (almost to halfcourt), hesitating, and dribbling between the legs, and stepping back again, and faking again and dribbling, and  then dribbling some more until he decides whether to drive, shoot or pass to a teammate who would now have 3 seconds left on the clock to make a play.


Easiest crossword puzzle clue:
Homophone for ___________.

If the question was posed orally, all you would have to do to answer correctly is repeat the word in the question.

Painting on right by Christine Hooker
entitled: Pear? Pair? Pare?

No comments:

Post a Comment