Thursday, June 28, 2012

Gonna wait till I read more, but for now it seems like Justice Roberts saved the day and reasoned like a reasonable man and though I'm not sure I fully understand the early analysis that suggests that the reasoning was based on interpreting the individual mandate as essentially a tax (which congress has the power to impose)--and yet one in which the individual has the right to comply or not comply.  Maybe I'm reading the wrong stuff, but I'm not aware of any federal, state or commercial taxes that are voluntary.  I assume the actual text of the decision will help to clarify.  Gonna make for some dry holiday reading.    Whoa...I think this clears it up...just got copy of the decision...and this seems to be the key section

 Second Paragraph, last sentence..." Instead, the Government asks us to read the mandate not as ordering individuals to buy insurance, but rather as imposing a tax on those who do not buy that product."  So by defining the mandate as a tax on those who do not comply, the act is deemed constitutional.  Boy, I can just see the Fox guys reaching for their matches to light the fuses on their "taxation without representation" fireworks--gonna be a dandy of a Tea Party July 4th Weekend in Punditville! 

And Mitt will either:
a.  Play the populist and support a burgeoning Tax Boycott movement
b. Announce that if elected, will have Justice Roberts tarred and feathered
c. Meet secretly with insurance industry bigwigs and promise them approval of massive increase in premiums in exchange for more campaign $$$. 

It's just too much like shooting fish in a barrel, but it's hard to avoid or ignore this guy--

From the Mouth of Mitt



"My sons are all adults and they've made decisions about their careers and they've chosen not to serve in the military and active duty and I respect their decision in that regard. One of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I'd be a great president."

"You sit down with your attorneys and tell you what you have to do, but obviously the president of the United States has to do what's in the best interest of the United States against a potential threat." --on whether he would consult Congress about invading Iran





Maybe it's because I'm around graphic designers and art directors all the time, but I'm inclined to believe that both metaphorically and literally, we judge 'books' by their covers all the time.  Like Oscar Wilde said:  "Only shallow people don't judge by appearances."


I was also intrigued by an article about Woody Allen's movie Midnight in Paris  which was a huge hit around the world.  The article cited both the poster art and the title as major factors.  Naturally, if the movie was really bad, it wouldn't have done well, but with another title or different key art, it may not have performed as well as it did.  After all, entertainment choices are often made quickly, and driven by impulse and intuition and sometimes the imagery/implications of the advertising can tip the buying decision one way or the other. Or at least that's what we tell ourselves at work in order to justify our jobs.  It's also fun to see how a single property is treated differently for different markets--sometimes with taste and skill, and sometimes with a shameless disregard for the actual qualities and substance of the work.   A la:







Original Hard Cover














And...Something tells me that this book here on the right would hold no surprises for me and would just be preaching to the choir in my hands, but I'm tempted to pass it along to my fellow Drifters in hope that it might help bring them closer to my congregation. 

Speaking of graphic artists...many many posts ago (if memory serves) I featured some of the work of graphic artist Craig Damrauer from his (former) site:  New Math--which Damrauer says was his “quixotic attempt to quantify the world. To refresh your memory, here's a few examples not previously included:



Back in 2002 when he started his series I would check in from time to time and sometimes send him some New Math of my own...we corresponded a few times and I had  fun trying to come up with equations he'd like and consider adding to his collection.  He no longer maintains the site, but he's still active doing all kinds of stuff and that includes some new equations...so I'll turn you over to him now and catch you up on his recent additions...


Boy, cutting and pasting other people's stuff is time consuming, but it's a lot easier than writing...I gotta remember that.


Taking a break for a long weekend...hoping it helps recharge my blogging batteries  

HAPPY 4th!


No comments:

Post a Comment