Friday, April 26, 2013

Came down with another nasty case of Neologia...


Blurse.  Combo of Blessing and curse.  “ Adding that extra room was a blurse, we got more living area and then got reassessed so now our taxes are higher."

Oprahensive : Anxiety arising from the fear that you may have suppressed the memory of an early childhood trauma.  “ I  became suddenly very oprahensive when I came across this very old photo of my father reading me a bedtime story ...it was Lolita." 

Digippeared:  When computer files go Pfffft.  "I know I saw it in my e-mail.  I know I saved it as a separate file, I know I named it and put it on my desktop….and now it  just digippeared. "

Converstation: Chatting with a total stranger while waiting for the train. " Know him?  No, he's just someone I have converstations with..." 

Brokelynite: A Brooklyn resident who pays too much for rent. " She found this great little one bedroom in Cobble Hill, and now is officially a Brokelynite."


Sarchasm:  The measurement of the distance between a witty copywriter and his/her literal minded client. " I pitched them the American Idle idea, but the sarchasm was too great, so they killed it." 

Sueshimi: A criminal justice court case in which one of the parties ends up with a raw deal. 

Telesenility:  Condition brought on by excessive television viewing. " No, there is no pill for telesenility, just turn that crap off!" 

Agnosetic:  One who doesn’t believe in cosmetic plastic surgery. 

Psychosemitic: One who sees anti-semitism everywhere.  " He served you your coffee, but I still haven't got my tea...and why do you think that is?" 

Pantryatic Cansore.  Bruises on the derriere caused by falling off step stools  in the pantry.  " Sorry, but I can't make it to work today, gotta see the doctor about my Pantryatic Cansore." 


Stellabration:  Response to hearing that there will not be a revival of any Tennessee Williams plays this year.  " No Streetcar this year?  That's cause for Stellabration!

Memeorable:  The part of a Richard Dawkins lecture that you understood.

Fasthideous:  A very ugly sports car. 

All Dente:  How you know your car is done.

Sondheimlich  Maneuver:  An effective treatment used in potentially life threatening situations when someone begins to spontaneously experience breathing problems due to the presence of a Stephen Sondheim song in the room.  " They were playing Another Hundred People from Company and this guy started choking, so I did the Sondheimlich Maneuver on him and he recovered."

Diafollicle:  That one hair sticking out of your nose (or ear) that you just can’t quite seem to get rid of.

Porklift:  Special loading vehicle for congresspersons:  " He got so much money from the NRA , he needed his Porklift to get it out of his office."

Bunkrapt: One enamored of and taken in by bullshit. " People watch and believe what they see on TV news cause they're bunkrapt"


Friend Alex sent me this:  

"The late Margaret Thatcher had a strong view about consensus. She called it: 


'The process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values, and policies in search of something in which no one believes, but to which no one objects."

On the one hand, I can see her point, and on the other I see how she earned her reputation for ruthless antipathy  toward democratic process.  (Thanks Alex). 

And for all the guys in book group..(and the rest of you) here's what I was referring to...


I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

No comments:

Post a Comment