Friday, April 12, 2013

"Relax, my batteries last like ten years--but every once in a while I like to let out a little chirp or two cause I get a little bored just hangin here.  When I'm really bored I like to test my full alarm capabilities--but that's only when I'm feeling particularly restless,  like at 3 or 4 in the morning." 





"Hey, you wanna lay down the law?  Cmon, bring it on!  I saw what you wrote about me, and guess what?  It's your fault!  Think I'd be puking in the middle of the night if you gave me more to eat than two measly cups of  petrified meat-free, fat-free, flavor-free puppy pellets?  Instead I gotta scrounge around the yard where I'm lucky if I can find some of my own old poop to snack on--so hey, if I get lucky every once in a while and snag myself a sick (if I can catch em, they must be sick)  squirrel or mouse, tough shit if that means you gotta clean up the mess. It's you who has to answer for my stomach's inability to digest anything more substantial than that thimble full of stale brown IAMS buckshot you've been feeding me every dull day for over 10 damn years!  BTW:  Thanks for the couple of pieces of pulled pork under the table last week...think we can make that more of a habit?"


Scientists have studied it, philosophers have pondered it, books have been written about it and still no one seems to get it.  Creative Work just isn't the same as any other kind of work.  It's work done by people who aren't like "normal" people.  Normal people are  reasonable, predictable, dependable and stable.  You see that "Creative Process"  illustration here?  It's pretty damn accurate.  And that long red section could also be described as the period in which all the obsessive, masochistic pain is endured in order to arrive at the panic stage that follows --which, by the way, is the only part of the process during which the creative worker derives some modicum of satisfaction.  So if you're an account executive, programming director, web master, research analyst, distribution/sales executive or otherwise "normal" person, please study the illustration carefully and remember what you have learned the next time you complain that the "creatives" are being "difficult".  


How did this blog turn into a Ranting space so quickly?  

 I shall atone and hopefully return with the more universally appealing approach  for which I have been richly rewarded with a loyal readership whose numbers can be counted on the fingers of a Simpsons character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment