Monday, October 21, 2013


I've been doing all the DON'Ts ... wonder how many chefs and waiters I've offended all these years. 

Hair on bottom of your toga...seven letters. *
My enjoyment of a crossword puzzle is always in direct proportion to my appreciation of the clues.  I've tried my hand at constructing a few and quickly discovered how difficult (actually, virtually impossible for me) to make one in the standard 15x15 rotational symmetric (mirror image) form but I soldiered on (albeit slowly) because I was so eager to enjoy the final challenge of creating the clues.  Here are some clues collected from various online sources that I thought were pretty (pret-ty, pret-ty, pret-ty) clever.


Tell-tale
weapon...CROSSBOW 
English passage...ACT OF PARLIAMENT 
Jazz scores... BASKETS 
Ones with steady work... ACROBATS 
They may be pulled... ALL-NIGHTERS 
Singularly tired.... WHEELIE
Where to see the writing on the wall?....FACEBOOK PAGE
Volcanic sex scandal.... BIMBO ERUPTION


Guy: 
I've been trying to think of a word for two weeks! 
Friend: 
Fortnight?

Globe Plotter...IAGO   Dancer Company...REINDEER    It'll get you a date...CARBON    Fit for a Queen...BEDSHEET  Training wheels...LIONEL
Obscured Curse...BLEEP    United, for one...SYNONYM

NOTE TO WILL SHORTZ:  WhassUp up with Friday Puzzle?  The Southeast corner-- fine, but the rest was painfully obscure and impregnable.  Diamond Deal-- a Twin Bill ?  Really?  A baseball pitch is a deal, a baseball trade is a deal, but a double header?  Not even remotely.   It's bad enough I don't know the name of any Reality Show celebs, Hip Hoppers and rap tunes, but this stuff is gonna send me back to The NY Post on Friday and their more populist and vastly underrated challenges. 
Now I know it's not fair without the aid of the grid and intersecting words, but I'll toss these out to you to decode as stand alone challenges and post the answers tomorrow. 

1.Radar Unit (4)
2.Bright Peruvian ancestry? (12)
3.Famous tower (3)
4.Wicked source of light (6)
5.Clue: HIJKLMNO (5)
6.Amundsen's forwarding address (4)
7.New Jersey (4)
Note to sis Debby...  I looked to toss in some acrostic OR puns and anagrams clues, I couldn't understand them even when provided with the answers.  How'd you get all the "smart" DNA anyway? 

*Hemlock

No comments:

Post a Comment