Wednesday, October 5, 2011

This vacation house thing is a by-product of Empty Nest Syndrome…or is it?

Abstract
A combined clinical and field investigation studied the effects of the empty-nest phase of parenthood on morale and activity level. Data from the clinical study were obtained from two psychotherapy groups conducted for mid-life women, and the field data were obtained from a 5-yr longitudinal study of life stages. Results indicated an increase in morale during the unfolding of the empty nest and suggested that the so-called "crisis" of the empty nest may be more myth than reality.


When my oldest son (Eli) left home for college, Ellen got her first taste of empty nest life and didn’t like it one bit. And that only turned increasingly bitter for her when our younger son (Will) went off too-- and when Eli moved to CA, it became for her more like a sour stomach. Understandable of course, she being the mom and the one who tended to the home fires for 20 years and was there for practically every twist and turn in our boy’s lives. For me it was less dramatic. I missed having them around and spicing up the atmosphere with their testosterone fueled energy and intensity, but the subsequent peace and quiet after they left wasn’t entirely unappealing. We both remained busy with work and personal interests and started seeing friends more often for dinner and assorted social activities. And let’s face it…it’s not like we didn’t see it coming. Don’t we want our kids to go out and find their own way? Don’t we want them to explore and expand their horizons? Don’t we want to stop cooking, cleaning and providing for their basic needs and encourage them to cultivate their own designs for living? Didn’t we raise them to leave? I know I did, or at least tried to. Yeah, you miss them…but face it, when they were living at home they were sleeping all the hours you were awake and vice-versa. Days would go by and I wouldn’t see either one of them except for the 15 second 3 o’clock in the morning “Hey, I’m home” mumble as they stumbled into bed after another night of revelry amongst their equally nocturnal birds of a feather. For my part, I can say that “empty nest” doesn’t connote a crisis of any great magnitude at all and seems to me to be just another way to attach an anxiety producing name to something in order to add it to the list of syndromes and conditions needed to fuel the fear that promotes consumption of commercially profitable remedies. I don’t even think Mommy and Daddy birds get empty nest syndrome and they own rights to the name.

Interesting to me that this blog is becoming more and more about what’s interesting to me.

And I’m becoming less and less interested in whether any of it is interesting to anyone else.

But I can’t see any other way of proceeding while retaining any enthusiasm for the effort.

I could cut and paste the e-mails going back and forth between we Drifters…but I tried that before and I’m convinced it wasn’t particularly compelling reading.

One of Elmore Leonard’s rules for good writing is:
Leave out the parts people tend to skip.

…like a first-person digression about empty nest syndrome?

Jose Reyes copped out when he took himself out of final game to secure batting title…but I still love him.

I have 10 more minutes of lunch-time to think of a few more things to add here.

Now I have 5 minutes.

3….2….1….bye.

5 comments:

  1. It's a crazy time for all parties during those days and weeks right after that strange upper-middle class rite-of-passage we call "college."

    I remember after my college graduation, I felt like I didn't know where to go or what to do - only that I had to go and do something.

    Then, for a number of reasons, I identified California as the epicenter of current American culture that it is and decided it would be the best place to bounce my energies around in.

    If I were to assign a commercially profitable remedy inducing name to the condition, I'd call it something like "overflowing nest syndrome."

    But I dare say I'm not afflicted anymore. Now I look forward to getting back home.

    Great post. Keep em coming. All the best stuff comes from when you're just talking about what you are interested in.

    Pandering sucks.

    See you - and the fellow drifters - next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey EMBC...Damn I'm I happy to hear from you. Haven't even been checking the Comments button since I so rarely get any...but real glad to hear you here. Yeah, remember well your initial post-grad days and also remember well how much I admired and applauded your following your "pick-up and go west" impulse and willingness to make a fresh new start. Those must have been heady days for you and you've certainly collected your share of experience since then. Home is wherever you make it and find it--and the people who matter to you and love you will always be there wherever you are.

    Thanks for checking out the Drifter...he's still searching too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. eli, you do seem to have a good head on your shoulders. better than the days when you had paper clips hanging off your ears......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff, my man! (Or should I say, B'OB?) Great to have you in the blog-o-sphere. Finally got a chance to catch up on what you've been up to and have really liked it...despite having no children, no summer place, no empty nest issues etc. myself. You seem to have found the key to making the blog interesting to others--and that is writing (with an awareness of the reader) about what's interesting to you. Keep on keepin' on, fellow scribbler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo Vegas...didn't catch you here before (which explains my comment in more recent post) so belated thanks for reading, commenting and encouraging. Don't think I'd ever have tried this without your inspiration. You set a high bar and I'm happy to keep craning my neck looking up to it as the gold standard.

    ReplyDelete