Monday, April 15, 2013

I'm starting to (not) notice some things

I used to see other people on the train reading books or newspapers.  Now it's a rare sight.  In fact, as I sit there reading ink on paper, I find myself inclined to nod or smile at anyone else holding a book in their hands as if we are somehow members of some old (and marginalized) club whose traditions we are upholding despite the inevitability of our imminent demise.

I used to see other people looking out the window of the train.  I never see that anymore.

I used to see people on the train getting up from their seats and standing in the vestibule near the doors whenever they were talking on their phones. No more, now everyone assumes it's ok to chat away, loud and long.

I used to be amazed at how fast and adept some people were in their texting/PDA typing technique. Now everyone's  a wiz at it.

I used to get a kick out of peeking over to see the title of the book someone else was reading.  Can't do that anymore.

I used to think I wasn't the kind of person who would ever be thinking (let alone blogging) about stuff like this. 

Ok.  Now, a few more Clerihews, and then I'll be (almost) through...


Why always Apple? Why are all on defensive?
The Mac stuff is good, but c’mon, so expensive
But Gates dropped the ball and came up so lame
When he gave the world Windows which is simply a pane.

Churchill, Yes Ole Winnie wasn’t quite what he claimed
He gave four fifths of Israel away in his game
He talked peace but loved war and lived for the thrills
Of colonialist empire –stuff gives me the chills.

Hey Benny, Ben Franklin, how we wish you were here
to give a constipated congress a kick in the rear
Common sense you’d advise with your uncommon touch
While reminding them “ a penny saved, isn’t really that much”. 



* BOTH ILLUSTRATIONS IN TODAY'S POST COURTESY OF MARRIEDTOTHESEA.COM.
An amusing site from which many a copywriter/art director has gleaned inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment