Monday, March 12, 2012

A Correction.

Seems I was a bit hasty in choosing the vintage ads for last post. My search criteria should have included some mention of words like "real" "genuine" or "actual". By not specifying my requests I mistakenly included at least one (and possibly two or three) ads that were bogus. The Japanese Proz-Zak ad was part of a vintage advertisement art contest in which designers created ads to look like the old ones--and I got fooled. I've lost the thread of my search history, but I now suspect that perhaps one or two others in my collection were from the same pool of parodies. I'll leave it to you to suss out which those might be--I suspect it may be the guys wrestling in their girdle/underwear...and maybe one or two of the outrageously sexist scenarios that push the "It's a man's world" ethos to improbable limits. In a way, it may still be interesting even if they are phony, to the extent that they succeed at fooling us (certainly me) because we/I recognize(d) how close to the truth of their time they are/were.

Anyway, to make up for it here are a few more...








The copy is the epitome of eloquent euphemism.










"This is your opportunity to gain quick popularity..." Someday I'll write an ad this good.




For the kid who has everything...except a parent with a brain.










One of many such ads for this product, and Company founder N.K. Fairbank was also University of Chicago Board Chairman. But to be fair, that was back in the late 1800s...













...by 1952 advertisers had become much more enlightened...











The Knicks are driving me nuts!

I keep trying to figure out what's really wrong (aside from lack of focus, defensive doldrums, general lack of spirit and a host of other factors cited by all the B'ball pundits and frustrated fans) and my latest speculation is that it has something to do with the influence of playing in New York City. The Big Apple is a rotten place for learning, growing, developing and nurturing. It's a playground for established movers and shakers. It's a town of big money, big media, big business and big egos. It's the heart of the "Empire" State. It's the "What have you done for me lately?" city. It's the Yankees with their insufferable sense of entitlement. It's the world of Fashion with its emphasis on style over substance. It's Wall St. and the big swinging dicks of finance. And now, more than ever, the people who go to see the games at the Garden are more apt to be deep pocketed, over indulged expense account corporate types rather than hard core hoops enthusiasts who really know and love the game. And Carmelo (and to a lesser extent Amare) came to New York with all the baggage that made the weight of expectations too great to withstand anything less than instant success. Dolan is the problem too. He wants stars and glamour and all that crap and probably hasn't got a clue about what it takes to build a winning team. I feel sorry for D'Antoni. I think he does know what it takes, but he's a victim of Big Apple Blues too.

Anywho...


Here's something I found years ago when I got in the habit of sending e-mails to my son Eli with interesting/inspiring quotes. I don't know exactly where I found it, but if memory serves, it was a website created by a young man who was traveling the world after abandoning a budding career (in corporate law maybe?) During his travels he kept a journal/log (I guess that's a blog) in which he shared thoughts, ideas etc. He put a much longer list together over time and I liked it and sent it to Eli. I think he had a clever headline for it but I can't remember that either. Anyway, here's what I kept of it.



Accept a breath mint if someone offers you one.

Never give anybody a fondue set or anything painted avocado green

Plant zucchini only if you have lots of friends.

Take off the convention badge as soon as you leave the convention hall.

Remember, the wrapping on a gift sometimes says more than the gift itself.

Learn the word for " love " in many languages.

When you are totally exhausted but have to keep going, wash your face and hands and put on clean socks and a clean shirt.

Check for toilet paper before sitting down.

Don't sleep all you want...just all you need.

Live an honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll get to enjoy it a second time.

Purchase one piece of original art each year, even if it's just a small oil painting by a high school student.

Don't do business with anyone who has a history of suing people.

Never pick up anything off the floor of a cab.

Leave loose change where a child can find it.

When travelling the back roads, stop whenever you see a sign that reads "Honey for Sale."

Don't outlive your money.

Let some things remain mysterious.

Never eat a sugared doughnut when wearing a dark suit.

Hire people more for their judgement than for their talents.

Love someone who doesn't deserve it.



AND FINALLY, ONE OF MY FAVORITE PHOTOS. I HAVE THIS POSTED ON MY OFFICE WALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment