Tuesday, August 21, 2012

You must believe in free will!
Mustn't you?



Whatever happened to the Zither?

Imagine trying to learn English and being told that noses run and feet smell?

“Self-denial is indulgence of a propensity to forgo.” -Ambrose Bierce

HE REALLY SAID THAT? :
“The president has kept all the promises he intended to keep.” -George Stephanopolous
















Dialogue between Lisa Simpson and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.  (All dialogue is guaranteed verbatim from official record)



Lisa Simpson: “So we’ll march day and night by the big cooling tower. They have the plants but we have the power.”

Clarence Thomas:

Lisa: Maybe you ate a clove!

Clarence:

Lisa:  Prayer. The last refuge of a scoundrel.

Clarence:

Lisa: Why do I get the feeling that someday I’ll be describing this to a psychiatrist?

Clarence:

Lisa: Wish I’d thought of that.

Clarence:

Lisa: If anyone wants me, I’ll be in my room.

Clarence:

Lisa: It’s awful being a kid. No one listens to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW:  If you search for Clarence Thomas quotes, you"ll come across...

"I have to admit that I’m one of those people that still thinks the dishwasher is a miracle. What a device! And I have to admit that because I think that way, I like to load it. I like to look in and see how the dishes were magically cleaned."

If I had no reason other than this to doubt the man's "depth perception",  this statement alone would suffice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently reading...  True Story.  Parallel narratives about Arthur Conan Doyle and man named George  Edalji who was framed by the police (for mutilating farm animals and writing threatening letters) , convicted, and sentenced to penal servitude. Doyle (akin to Zola and Dreyfus) comes to his defense which ultimately leads to the creation of the first British Court of Appeals.  A bit slow at the outset, but picks up with brilliant account of legal drama and  heartbreaking at times.  Barnes is impressive-- filling in and deepening the personal within the context of the  documented record. It was turned into a play and was adapted for an episode on BBC anthology The Edwardians.  Brother in Law Stu just loaned me other Barnes book The Sense of an Ending...will get to it next.  

Buy me! Boil me!  Eat me!
Last year my off-the-boat selling price was $3 per pound.
Right now,I'm $1.35."

Crazy man, crazy.  The surf in your 'Surf and Turf' may be cheaper than your turf...at least if you're in and around Maine.  "The near-saturation of the market is thought to have been caused by warmer waters off the New England coast, increasing the food supply and drawing the lobster out into the open earlier than usual."  Gotta feel for the struggling Lobstermen.



The following statement is very important.
The previous statement is irrelevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment