Wednesday, October 19, 2011

ANOTHER LATE NIGHT EDIT IN TV LAND...SO EITHER I GET BUSY POSTING SOMETHING OR EAT MY SECOND ROAST BEEF SANDWICH...THINK I'LL POST.

supervising a video edit is like managing a baseball team. You sit in the dugout and call the play and then wait, and wait and wait to see how the play develops and then you call another play and the process continues till...well, till upper management decides it's time to change managers.

So now that my editor is busy trying to execute the play I just called, I'm back online and in a late night kind of mood...so here's a video of Mike Stern playing a beautiful piece of his called Wing and a Prayer. I learned to play it around the time my mom died, and I now always associate it with her. But not with her passing...but rather her life. It's a quiet tune and a somewhat blue one but it's also, to my ears, full of wonder and hope and beauty and peace. As I listen to it and play it, I'm always moved and touched by the sweet and somewhat melancholy melody and the exquisite harmony. The video was shot live at The 55 Bar (for a Mike Stern instructional video) in Greenwich Village, my favorite music joint in NY. It's real small, real old, no food (not even pretzels or nuts...but you can bring your own) not very comfortable chairs, but everyone is into the music and the musicians are just playing in a corner of the room and everyone is kind of just packed together like it's someone's living room. There are other slicker stage performance versions online,as well as the original studio version but I like this one even though they cut it off prematurely when the bass solo begins. Tonite I dedicate it to my friend Jeremy's mom who at the age of 86 just got married again. She is one hell of a great lady and I have wonderful memories of her when I used to spend hours and hours at Jeremy's house hangin out--and I have a very vivid memory of her telling me that she liked the British Jazz singer Cleo Laine. When I checked out Laine's music, I could see why. Laine is a smart, classy, sophisticated singer with great sensitivity and soul. Just like Marie.


No comments:

Post a Comment